Ask a Lawyer-How can I change my name on my citizenship certificate?

As immigrants ourselves, the team at the Law Office of Supna Zaidi, Esq. believes immigrants to the United States, like herself, are a critical part of American society. We contribute to the culture, welfare, and economy of the communities we live in across the 50 states, proving the American Dream is real and should continue to be accessible to all. 

For that Supna Zaidi, Esq will be answering the Immigration queries for free.

To request a free consultation, please visit Law Office of Supna Zaidi, Esq. or if you have immigration questions, please send them to  [email protected]


Question: How can I change my name on my citizenship certificate?

Answer: The name you used when you became a citizen in the United States is considered your legal name. While you are allowed to use other names in the normal course of your life, those other names (including spelling your name differently if this is the case) will be considered alias’s.

If you have decided you want your name to be something other than what you provided on your citizenship certificate, you will need to file a name change request at your local courthouse. Your immigration attorney, or a family law attorney can help you.

Supna Zaidi, Esq

Ms. Zaidi’s immigration practice focuses on asylum and deportation relief, including appellate level representation of clients to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). Clients have included refugees from Sierra Leone, asylees fleeing FGM, persecution based on ethnic/religious discrimination from countries like Turkey, and successful reversals of deportation orders from Pakistan.

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Muslim World Today.

Showing 2 reactions

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.