Freddie Mercury's family tell of singer's pride in his Asian heritage

Freddie Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara

Freddie Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara


By Shekhar Bhatia


To his legions of fans, was a flamboyant - and very British - rock star.

But in the background was a much more complex sense of identity, summed up by one picture: a black and white image of a baby called Farrokh Bulsara smiling in his pram, watched over by an African nanny in the gardens of the home in colonial Zanzibar where his Indian parents lived.

The little boy in the pram would go on to change his name to Freddie Mercury, achieving wealth and fame before a life cut short at 45 by AIDS.

As he became a worldwide star, little was said of his boyhood in the dying days of Empire, being brought up by his Indian parents in wealth - then having to flee a bloody revolution which took the family to London to build a new life.

The pictures of life before fame were revealed as his family prepare to mark the twentieth anniversary of his death and discuss their pride in his Asian heritage.

Mercury's background - his family are Parsees, followers of the Zorastrian religion whose ancestors came from Persia - was never in the forefront as he sang in Queen. There were sometimes whispers in the Asian community that he ignored his heritage.

But to his family it was an essential part of his identity.

His father, Bomi, was born in India and like many went to a British possession in Africa to work as a registrar for the colonial government, taking with him his wife Jer.

They brought up Freddie, his younger sister Kashmira, in Zanzibar, now a part of Tanzania, but then a colony in its own right.

When he was eight Mercury was sent to St Peter's, a boarding school near his parents' home city of Bombay, now Mumbai, and showed a natural talent for the piano.

Mrs Bulsara recalled: "He was quite happy and saw it as an adventure as some of our friends' children had gone there.

"Right from the start, Freddie was musical. He had it on his mind all the time.

"He could play any tune. He could hear something and play it straight away."

He honed his piano skills by playing Indian tunes, then joined his first band, called The Hectics.

When he left school, now known as Freddie, a nickname given to him by schoolmates, he returned to Zanzibar, but its independence in 1963 was followed by a revolution which saw the largely poor Africans involved in riots which targeted the wealthier Indian population.

The Bulsaras fled to London in 1964 and settled in Feltham, swapping a life of servants for a semi-detatched home in the suburbs.

Mercury enrolled at Isleworth Polytechnic to study graphic design, but it was music which entranced him, shifting from the Indian tunes he had played in Bombay.

Mrs Bulsara, 89, said: "He would write songs from an early age. I kept on saying, as all mothers do, carry on with your studies and clean up your bedroom.

"Once when I went into his bedroom at our home in Feltham, I told him I was going to clear up all the rubbish including the papers under his pillow.

"But he said 'Don't you dare'. He was writing little songs and lyrics then and putting them under his pillow before he slept.

"It was more music than studying and my husband said he didn't understand what this boy was going to do.

"I made him type some letters for jobs and when he posted the applications he said' I hope I don't get these jobs'.

"The applications were for graphic design. Had he got one of those jobs, things would have been quite different.

"In the end, he thought it was too much because he was in his bedroom most of the time and an elderly neighbours were complaining about the noise and he decided to leave home."

Mercury formed Queen with Brian May, Roger Taylor and John and the band's first major concert was as a support act to Mott the Hoople at Hammersmith Odeon in 1973.

His parents were the very antithesis of the glam rock movement which was sweeping the nation, but they were there, somewhat to the surprise of members of the audience.

"My favourite memory of him is that very first concert at Hammersmith Odeon," Mrs Bulsara said.

"My boy was showing the best of himself as support to Mott the Hoople,

"When the show was over people came over to me and my husband and said it was nice that we supported him. I said simply: 'Well, he is my son.'

"Rock and roll was not my lifestyle, but I said I would attend every concert. It was very exciting for me. It was 1973 and he always used to dress flamboyantly.

"But I used to tell him to have his hair cut short as it was long. He said 'No, no mum, that is the way I am.

"But when short hair came into fashion he said: 'You see I've had it cut short. I did it'."

As he was on the verge of musical success, he failed his driving test, but told his family not to worry.

His mother said: "He said it didn't matter. I said he didn't want to spend his life on buses and he said: 'It doesn't matter because one day I will be chauffeur driven everywhere'.

"I thought that my boy certainly had a dream."

As he became more famous, his Asian upbringing and heritage faded increasingly into the background.

But it was never something he forgot himself, his family say; being Asian was part of his life.


For the rest of the article please click here.

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Muslim World Today.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.